housing, retail, community
Maccreanor Lavington has designed a residential led, mixed-use scheme for the redevelopment of this pivotal site within central London. A brick clad 27 storey tower forms a landmark, demarcating the start of Blackfriars Road. The hexagonal plan creates slender facades with a vertical emphasis, crowned with filigree white glazed brick pinnacles.
The tower adds distinctive identity and positive contribution to the new London skyline. A varied palette of brickwork along with recessed decorative glazed brick spandrels and concrete banding have been carefully detailed to ensure rich layered urban facades.
A key design principle has been to formally engage with the Circus and its historical significance. The building fronts the Circus and reinstates its concave elevation in keeping with George Dance the Younger’s 1809 masterplan for the area. The project seeks to transform St George’s Circus into an active node, forming a new destination for high quality local shopping, eating and leisure activities and create a generous neighbourhood public space.